Thursday 26 February 2009

Gymming it!

I got off my bum and went to the gym last night for the first time in absolute ages and, surprisingly, I loved it even though I got the most unattractive sweat on and was surrounded by culchies. My fitness levels are far lower than they have been in while but that will be due to the surgery I had back in September and a very sedentary lifestyle since then.

My workout consisted of:
  • a 3min warm up on the cross trainer followed by calf, thigh, hamstring, deltoid & tricep stretches.
  • A 15min interval training session on the cross trainer at level 9 that I thought was going to kill me followed by some more stretching.
  • 2 sets of 10 reps on the chest press (the weight was only at 7.5kg but it was more than enough!!).
  • 10mins on the treadmill, it took me a while to work out how to use this treadmill so I probably only got a good 8 minutes of running done but it was hard going, especially after the cross trainer.
  • Lots more stretching of legs and arms before I moved onto the free weights.
  • Then 2 sets of 12 reps doing bicep curls with 3kg weights while sitting on an inclined wieghts bench followed by 2 sets of 12 reps doing tricep kick backs with 2kg weights. The time in between reps I used to stretch out my triceps and biceps.
  • Finally I did a 3 minute cool down on the cross trainer followed by all the stretches I did at the start with a bit of extra stretching on my biceps, triceps and the front of my thighs as these were the sorest places.
Today I feel a bit achey in my arms and across the front of my chest but in a good way. I think the major amounts of stretching I did will really have helped ease off any pain I'd be feeling otherwise. Since I'm so out of shape I'm going to have 2 rest days before throwing myself back into it but I'm really looking forward to Saturday for my next gym session.

3 comments:

  1. I really really need to start getting fit soon and shedding this post baby fat. Just cant seem to get motivated yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was really hard workout, considering that you could not even climb the steps just few months ago. Why didn't you started with something easier? Like some classes? Pilates or yoga?
    I went yesterday to the local Pilates class and believe or not, I have sore muscles today. The teacher is quite young and fit girl, so just by attempting to follow her, I got really good workout. Also, I find classes much easier to stick with. If I had to go to the gym, alone, I will simply give up after few visits. But of course, what will happen to you depends on you and your will power.
    I'm keeping the finger crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who says yoga & pilates are easier though? I've been to yoga before and found it really hard work, and more especially really hard work on my stomach which I'm looking to avoid right now. Finally the motivation to get out there and do something hit and I woke up with the urge to do some to do some good old fashioned sweating. I find if I go to the gym I can zone out, work at my own pace and come away feeling great. Will power's not really an issue as I forgot how much I love going to the gym and the motivation to keep going will hopefully be provided by having all and sundry reading this blog and seeing just how lazy or energetic I've been!!

    ReplyDelete