Saturday 14 March 2009

My new bike!

I decided in the interest of exercising more often (and avoiding the tourist traffic in Newcastle) that I would buy myself a bike. I've wanted a bike to zoom about the town on for ages and I didn't get one before as I lived in the city and I knew I'd never use it really. Anyway I didn't want anything fancy as really I don't know how well I'm going to keep up the cycling (despite all my best intentions!) so I went to a local place who sell second hand bikes as well as new bikes. After a bit of looking around I chose a second hand raleigh that doens't look a million dollars but it rides well and is highly unlikely to fall apart after 5 minutes. I suspect a new gel saddle is in order though as the current saddle is a bit old and uncomfortable, but not as uncomfortable as that blimmin' exercise bike I was on a couple of weeks ago!

I took the bike out today and went for a modest cycle - only about 4 miles in total and mostly on the flat - but boy am I feeling it! I remember when I was a kid and me and my friends took our bikes absolutely everywhere! We would get together in the morning, take the bikes out and cycle all day for miles in the nearby forests and on jaunts all round the local countryside and I've no idea how we did it. I am hoping that once I get used to being out on the bike again it won't seem so difficult but I'm definitely glad I got it and I'm looking forward to all the cycling I'll be doing soon! I am now waiting on a lock, a bell and a new saddle to arrive and once they're here there'll be no stopping me :-D

p.s. there'll be a picture soon!

1 comment: